Podcasts have taken over my life this year. I have a decently long commute to and from work each day which means I have a lot of time to commit to discovering and listening to podcasts.
I wanted to take a moment to share with the world my favorite podcasts of the year. Being a person who loves playing video games, there are definitely some great gaming podcasts on my list that I want to recommend, however this year I have also broadened my tastes and explored some new podcasts.
Expect a little bit of everything on this list, and be sure to read all the way for even more podcasts to check out in the honorable mentions section!
Darknet Diaries is by far my favorite podcast I’ve listened to this year. Host Jack Rhysider elegantly takes you on a journey through the “dark” world of tech. Everything from hacking, data breaches, cyber crime, penetration testing stories, and more can be found in this podcast.
I loved this show so much that I ended up listening to every single episode. Luckily, episodes release fortnightly so it’s not easy to fall behind on.
If there’s one podcast I recommend everyone checks out, it’s Darknet Diaries.
I’ve been listening to Gamertag Radio for the longest time. In fact, Gamertag Radio might even be one of the first podcasts I ever listened to.
Danny Peña, Peter Toledo, and Parris Lilly are three knowledgeable and thought provoking hosts that have extremely engaging conversations about everything happening in the games industry.
Definitely check out Gamertag Radio on whatever service it it you use to listen to podcasts. I cannot recommend any other gaming podcast as highly as I do Gamertag Radio.
There is also a documentary about Gamertag Radio which is a must watch! Check it out here.
The New Day: Feel The Power
In the last year or two I became a fan of wrestling. Of all the wrestlers and tag teams, The New Day is one group that go wild for every time.
WWE recently launched a podcast network and The New Day has a podcast on it! The dynamic between Kofi, Big E, and Xavier Woods really just brings me in. The show is very new but also is now one of my favorite shows to listen to each and every Monday.
As an avid listener to Podcast Unlocked (IGN’s Xbox podcast) I was excited when I heard that they were starting a podcast that interviews the people behind the games and studios many of us are fans of.
IGN Unfiltered launched in 2015 and I have been hooked since. Some of my favorite guests this year include Phil Harrison, Todd Howard, Yves Guillemot, Amy Hennig, and Bonnie Ross. I highly recommend checking those episodes out!
Twofivesix: Gaming and Marketing
Twofivesix is a marketing agency that works with brands in the interactive entertainment space. This year, Twofivesix launched a podcast where their Founder and CEO Jamin Warren interviews others in the space.
I enjoy Twofivesix’s podcast because the stories are very unique compared to what you might read on other games industry websites like Gamasutra or GameIndustry.biz.
There are only a handful of episodes available and I am very hopeful for more to come. If you’re in the games industry, a marketer, or just aspiring to do this kind of work, I recommend you binge this podcast ASAP!
Of course, I have listened to way more than five podcasts this year. In fact, I am currently subscribed to over 30 shows that I try to listen to each and every week (I fall off and pick pack up podcasts constantly…). Here’s a few more of my favorite podcasts I am currently listening to (along with their podcast descriptions):
- The 1099 – The 1099 is an interview-based podcast that highlights the best writers, YouTubers, developers, publishers, and people in video games and beyond.
- Brad & Will Make a Tech Pod – Each Sunday, Brad Shoemaker and Will Smith discuss a new technology topic. Come for the long-form conversations about virtual reality, space travel, electric cars, refresh rates, and a whole lot more.
- Giant Bombcast – Giant Bomb discusses the latest video game news and new releases, taste-test questionable beverages, and get wildly off-topic in this weekly podcast.
- Instead Of – A hypothetical podcast wherein three friends consider life’s real headscratchers. Think of us as the very best of the replies on AskReddit, because then we can think it too.
- Kotaku Splitscreen – Kotaku’s Kirk Hamilton, Jason Schreier, and Maddy Myers talk about all things gaming… and maybe more.
- Major Nelson Radio – The only official unofficial podcast direct from Xbox.
- Podcast Unlocked – Love video games? IGN’s Podcast Unlocked is your source for everything Xbox.
- Ride the Lightning: Tesla Motors Unofficial Podcast – Tesla Motors enthusiasts looking for a show about the latest news and analysis on the all-electric high-performance vehicle company need look no further.
- Robot Congress – Ryan Morrison, better known on Reddit and the internet as “Video Game Attorney,” and co-hosts Austin Hoffman and Ali Rothman, take a hard look at how the law will react to the fast growth in technology.
- The Sams Report – A podcast by Microsoft tech journalist, Brad Sams.
- Spawn On Me – Spawn On Me is the internet’s definitive video game podcast featuring and spotlighting gamers of color. Brought to you directly from Brookago, host Kahlief Adams brings you gaming news & interviews while spotlighting people of color in the gaming industry.
- Still Untitled: The Adam Savage Project – Norm and Will discuss topics of interest with Adam–nothing is off-limits! Still Untitled covers everything from hot-button issues within the maker community to experiences from Adam’s life to questions from the audience. Enjoy!
- Waypoint Radio – Join Waypoint’s Austin Walker, Rob Zacny, Patrick Klepek, and Ricardo Contreras two times a week, as they break down the biggest stories in video games, talk about their favorite media, and unfairly compare everything to Dark Souls.
Be sure to check these shows out and give em a shot! I hope this post helps introduce you to a few new podcasts you might like. 🙂